Wednesday 18 March 2009

Student Restaurant, 'Deli Delicious'

Wednesday 18 March 2009
The top floor of the Owen Building at Sheffield Hallam University was transformed into a prefab restaurant this Tuesday. ‘Deli Deli’ was opened as part of the 2nd year Hospitality Management course at the University. Diners were invited to enjoy 3 courses for just £6, so I jumped at the chance.

The menu offered a choice of 3 dishes for each course. I chose homemade salmon fishcakes as a starter. The fishcakes were made with jalapeno peppers, which at first seemed a worrying choice of ingredient. However, the mix of the flavoursome salmon with the occasional burst of spice was very enjoyable, and innovative.



For the main course, I chose the spaghetti carbonara. What was promised as a ‘hefty portion’ did not disappoint. The pasta was light, counteracted completely by the richness of the creamy sauce. While this balance was tasty, I must admit it felt a little too heavy after a few mouthfuls. Indeed, aware that I still needed to enjoy a dessert, I regretfully had to leave some of the pasta.


While I opted for what I had hoped would be the light option, some of my fellow diners chose fillet steak in a red wine sauce, which, after watching it arrive at the next table, I immediately desired. Indeed, I was able to sample the steak, and I began to wish I’d chosen it in the first place.

However, dessert was next, and my choice was by no means original - chocolate fudge cake. However, I must add that nothing on the dessert menu sounded particularly appetising. This created the impression that desserts were perhaps an afterthought in the restaurant’s preparation. While a somewhat ‘stock’ dessert, the fudge cake was delectable, and the light ice cream it came with was the perfect antidote to the heaviness of the main course.

While the sheer amount of food left me reeling, the quality of the service was steadying. I did not expect professional treatment, but was pleasantly surprised at just how competent the student-waiting staff were at adding to the positive atmosphere. Our table all received its meals at once, and any requests were dealt with very efficiently.

Other members of the Hospitality Management course are staging their own efforts over the coming weeks, every Tuesday and Wednesday in the Owen Building. I, for one, will be attending again.

Posted by Joe Moody

0 comments:

Post a Comment