Thursday 26 February 2009

Spice Girl Memorabilia

Thursday 26 February 2009
Deborah Reilly meets South Yorkshires very own Spice Girls super-fan, Liz West. We met at the English Institute of Sport Sheffield, where Liz works as a steward in her free time. Over a cup of coffee she tells me what made her want to become the Spice Girls biggest fan.


What is it that you believe got you hooked on the Spice Girls?

I was hooked as soon as I head their first single ‘wannabe’ play on the radio when it reached number 1 in 1996. I marvelled at how much energy they all had and I loved their tacky outfits and platform shoes. I loved every song they released because they were always so catchy.


How does it feel being the Spice Girls biggest fan?

I’ve always been competitive so I feel happy to be the biggest collector and ‘fan’. I have showed my fandom through collecting their stuff and buying their singles, other fans show it by stalking the girls, which I don’t agree with. I believe they are entitled to their privacy. I am constantly on the look out for new stuff to add to my collection, its an every expanding thing, unlike other collections which are static.


What was the very first Spice Girls product you bought, and why?

The first thing I was given, and it was the first album, ‘spice’. The first product I bought myself from my pocket money was the photo album and cards to go it in. you had to collect 120 in total and I would treat myself to a pack of 6 whenever I could for £1 to swap with my friends at school. I eventually completed the album! Among other things.

What is the most expensive item you own? And how much did it cost?

I splashed out on a green tasselled Geri dress which Geri wore in 1998 on the world tour, I went to the concert where she wore it, so it has huge sentimental value. It cost too much, I probably overpaid for it, but I didn’t want anyone else to get it before me.


What’s your favourite Spice Girls item? Why?

My favourite item is probably one of my costumes that they wore or Geri’s union jack glitter platform boots I got recently. My favourite dress is Emma’s pretty pink and blue sequin, but its so fragile with all the sequins on it.


Have you ever met any of the Spice Girls? What did they think to your unique collection?

I have met Emma, she joked that I had more than her. I also have met mel B, she thanked me for supporting her charity CLIC Sargent which the proceeds of the auctions I took part in went to. That’s the auction where I got several of her spice girls outfits.

Have you done any other exhibitions since the one at Cusworth Hall?

Yes! After Cusworth hall in Doncaster I had a summer exhibition at Clifton park in Rotherham. I included a few new items to make it a bit different from the Cusworth hall one, but it was equally as successful.


What Spice Girls item would you love to own but haven’t managed to get hold of?

The holy grail for any spice girls collector, including me, would be Geri’s union jack dress. But unfortunately the Hard Rock CafĂ© own it in Las Vegas. It was the most expensive piece of music memorabilia ever bought at auction sold at £36,000 at Sotheby’s in 1998! That’s without commission! Ouch.

Story by Deborah Reilly

0 comments:

Post a Comment